Re: I have written a draft for the Reporting Bugs guide

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 09:43:21 +0200
Alberto Salvia Novella <es20490446e@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Many people has been complaining through the years about not knowing
> how to report bugs in Ubuntu. I have been asking those people why is
> that, and they usually told me that the reporting bugs guide was too
> long, hard to skim, and nobody would be willing to read it.

> It wasn't till I putted a video-tutorial on the top of the page when
> people stopped complaining about it. But that's just a dirty
> work-around and shows that the guide doesn't fit well the average
> user needs.
>

> So for:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
>
> I have written an improved version:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/es20490446e/Reporting%20bugs
>

> The criteria I have used has been:
> - Adequate for the average person (https://goo.gl/GmzLhb)
> - Fits 95% of cases, and leaves the rare ones out.
> - Easy and straightforward, over correct.
> - Removing the already guided steps by applications themselves.
> - Removing the procedures only interesting for triagers.
> - If something is unclear if it's useful, adding it when it shows to
> be.
>

> Please have a look at it and tell me if you see something painful
> missing. Thank you.

Quite simple indeed.

One single thing at the moment (until I digest it all, including the
potential impacts): we should *not* announce how to directly enter a
bug in LP. Use ubuntu-bug. Otherwise, use ubuntu-bug.

You are making filing a bug available to the average user, whatever an
average user is. We know, already, that -- per your own words above --
these are the users that cannot read anything with many pages,
paragraphs, sentences, words. If you allow these users to directly open
bugs on LP (as opposed to using ubuntu-bug), then you taking out the
*only* way we can guarantee a *minimum* of hard data about the
system/progam/package affected.

Cheers,

..C..