Re: Fwd: 'Ubuntu Bug Control' membership application

Hi Brian et al,

There are several aspects that would result from a 'Ubuntu Bug Control'
membership.

* Even if I mainly work on two special projects that are related to the
s390x and the ppc64el architectures, several bugs that I work on / manage /
triage are architecture agnostic. Hence Ubuntu Server in general will
benefit from the work I do on LP bugs.
* In addition I need to work closely together with further developers and
package maintainers, therefore it's often the case that multiple parties,
releases and projects are involved in a single bug.
But today I cannot optimally triage or manage such kinds of tickets,
because of my limited permission. I can for example adjust the status and
important of the projects that affects a bug and that I am a member of, but
I can only barely modify the status of a package (just as an example).
As a workaround I need to ask (well, bother) fellow colleagues to change or
adjust certain fields in LP - which is a waste of time for the fellows and
for me.
So another aspect will be an increase of efficiency - not only for me.
* Becoming more efficient would at the end allow me to process more bugs in
the same amount of time, which would result in an increased throughput. It
will help me doing my job in a better way.
* In my role as tech. lead for Ubuntu on IBM Z (s390x) I'm already doing
bi-weekly bug scrub sessions (in a smaller group of up to 5 people) and
these would just become more straight-forward.
I'm leading the s390x LP bug triage sessions, but also participate the
ppc64el LP bug triage sessions.
* I think/hope that my communication is honest, diplomatic and tactful, but
sometimes also firm.
* In case more background information or error reports (apport, but also
arch-specific reports like 'dbginfo') are needed, I ask for these to
improve the decision making and triage process.
In the past that often led to adjustments in the bug title, description,
affected packages or assignees, or even helped to identify duplicate bugs.
* In several situations I also forwarded or helped to forward bugs to
upstream (Like pertest on Mellanox git, s390s-specific tools at IBM
developerWorks or nowadays s390-tools git).
* With my background on s390x (and ppc64el) I may bring in some special
knowledge to the team.

I hope that these aspects fit to requirements for a Ubuntu Bug Squad
membership.

Thx, Frank

Frank Heimes | Tech. Lead Ubuntu Server on Z | Canonical Ltd.
mail: frank.heimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
irc: jfh
www.canonical.com | www.ubuntu.com | ubuntu-on-big-iron.blogspot.com
<http://ubuntu-on-big-iron.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar>