ubuntu-cyclists team mailing list archive

Re: Why now?

I only just recently heard of ubuntu-cyclists from planet ubuntu.
I have been using Kubuntu since the Hoary days.

I am not much of an avid cyclist anymore, as a knee injury and becoming very
overweight kinda put a stop to that until recently.

I started out with a used Univega back in 1983 while still in school, and
moved up to a Raleigh, their first aluminum bike (well, all but seat and
chainstays). I then built a Basso from the spoke nipples up and even had a
Nashbar bike as well. Then injury, money and real life got in the way around
1987 and I didn't ride until about a couple years ago. I got a free, beat up
Specialized hybrid which to me was utterly amazing as it  just fit me
physically as well as my riding style and skill. It wasn't quite up to
handling my weight with its 700 rims, though :) Unfortunately it was stolen
last year (who steals a beater? In the middle of winter?) But I was hooked
again on pedaling so I scraped enough cash for a used Gary Fisher aluminum
framed mountain bike, no suspension, slightly upright handlebars, their
cheapest model iirc.

Not quite as comfortable as the ancient hybrid, but it is lighter and handles
my mass very well. Haven't had to true the rims yet, and I ride the new bike
much more than I did the Specialized.
--
Clay Weber