ubuntu-defect-analysts team mailing list archive

Apport knowledge share

Hi,

I can speak on behalf of the server team to state that, whilst we have
experience of adding apport hooks to packages we specifically care
about; we do not have the coverage that makes apport as useful as it
could be.

This could be a mixture of misconceived priorities, I also feel that
it might be a lack of common knowledge of what is involved.

The wiki page [0] is really rather useful, but I feel it's missing
exposure.  I think the 'Bug Pattern' matching part of the project
would benefit from some real examples - perhaps even someone
volunteering to do it as part of Ubuntu Developer Week.

However, before that - is there merit in trying to have a apport jam
prior to release, with the objective of increasing coverage both hook
coverage, but especially the patterns?

Thoughts?

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport/DeveloperHowTo

Kind Regards,