ubuntu-defect-analysts team mailing list archive

Re: Apport knowledge share

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 02:32:20AM +0100, Dave Walker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can speak on behalf of the server team to state that, whilst we have
> experience of adding apport hooks to packages we specifically care
> about; we do not have the coverage that makes apport as useful as it
> could be.

To that end I've created the following report which identifies the top 5
packages currently receiving bug reports for the engineering teams.

http://reports.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ubuntu-server/recent-package-bugs.html

Using that information I was able to determine which packages to write
apport hooks for the Foundations team.  Coincidentally, Steve Langasek
and I were talking about some changes that would be useful to the samba
package hook which I'd be happy to make with people looking over my
shoulder or something.

> This could be a mixture of misconceived priorities, I also feel that
> it might be a lack of common knowledge of what is involved.
>
> The wiki page [0] is really rather useful, but I feel it's missing
> exposure.  I think the 'Bug Pattern' matching part of the project
> would benefit from some real examples - perhaps even someone
> volunteering to do it as part of Ubuntu Developer Week.

I gave a class on writing bug patterns, and also briefly touched on
apport package hooks, for UDW in July 2011.  Additionally, I gave a class
on writing apport package hooks for UDW in March of 2011, January of
2010 and September of 2009.

> However, before that - is there merit in trying to have a apport jam
> prior to release, with the objective of increasing coverage both hook
> coverage, but especially the patterns?

Writing bug patterns isn't really release sensitive as they are in an
xml file independent of the archive so having a pattern jam could happen
at any time.  I do think there is merit in having a jam for writing or
improving apport package hooks (very soon) though and I'm happy to
participate in this or give a class (we have that #ubuntu-classroom
channel right?) to facilitate your team writing or improving hooks.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master