ubuntu-defect-analysts team mailing list archive

Re: Where do bugs without a package end up?

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 09:57:58PM -0600, Kate Stewart wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 14:33 -0800, Brian Murray wrote:
> > While there isn't a direct mapping between package and symptom I think
> > this gives a general idea of some symptoms / problems that would be
> > useful to write.  Ones that occur to me are - 'installation', 'software
> > update', 'network connection'.  The vast majority end up with linux
> > though so perhaps a more detailed analysis of what types of issues
> > people are trying to report would help.  By the way there already is a
> > path for sound bugs to take - perhaps it is just under advertised.
> >
> > Any thoughts or comments?
>
> The approach of outlining symptoms/problem areas and provide guidance to
> get useful information, has a definite appeal.
>
> Possibly one way to advertise/communicate is to feed some questions into
> AskUbuntu along those lines, and then provide the guidance on what
> information to pull up to help narrow down installation,
> software-update, etc. types of bugs?   Putting some of this on wiki
> pages for gathering information on triaging types of problems might be
> useful as well?
>
> Half the time its knowing which component is engaged when you see a
> specific symptom - and some of the names, purpose and flow/transitions
> could use some further explanation to help.

Perhaps I should have explained more but if you just use 'ubuntu-bug'
you are presented with a list of questions which guide you through
types of problems and end up in a bug report about a specific package.
The questions are provided by the package apport-symptoms.

So given the information about where bugs without a package are ending
up I'd write an apport-symptoms script regarding the software update
process and ask questions about whether or not it occurred during an
update from one release to another or during a "regular" package update.
Actually a regular package update would end up in an apport-package bug
report but you get the idea.

Once we have more symptoms added then we'd re-advertise this bug
reporting method to the community.

--
Brian Murray