From: *David Planella* <david.planella@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:david.planella@xxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 2009/8/14
Subject: Re: Ubuntu Desktop Course in Russian
To: Anton Gladky <gladky.anton@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:gladky.anton@xxxxxxxxx>>
Cc: Oleg Koptev <koptev.oleg@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:koptev.oleg@xxxxxxxxx>>

El dv 14 de 08 de 2009 a les 08:49 +0200, en/na Anton Gladky va
escriure:
> Dear, David!
>
> I am one who is care of translation Ubuntu Desktop Course in Russian
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training/Russian
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop-course-ru <https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-desktop-course-ru>
>
> We had started this project in February 2009 and till now almost
> everything is translated and almost all screenshots are done.
> We are on a stage of reviewing the whole translation, finding "bugs"
> and fixing it.

Hi Anton,

Let me answer your question starting with a bit of background. When I
created the POT templates necessary to make the translations appear in
Launchpad, I wanted to upload the PO files (the translations themselves)
in Launchpad as well. But for some languages (and Russian is a good
example) there were several branches for the same language from
different people. This put me in a position of not knowing which was the
preferred translation branch for that language, so that's why I asked
Ubuntu translators to review the branches for their particular
languages, decide which one contains the translations and upload them to
Launchpad themselves.

In the case of Russian there are quite a lot of branches:

lp:~ubuntu-desktop-course-ru/ubuntu-desktop-course/ubuntu-desktop-course-russian
lp:~ehpc/ubuntu-desktop-course/ubuntu-desktop-course-russian-ehpc
lp:~konopkov/ubuntu-desktop-course/ubuntu-desktop-course-russian-konopkov
lp:~d447224/ubuntu-desktop-course/ubuntu-desktop-course-russian-frio
lp:~snenashev/ubuntu-desktop-course/ubuntu-desktop-course-russian-snenashev
lp:~gladky-anton/ubuntu-desktop-course/ubuntu-desktop-course-russian-gladk
lp:~slavic/ubuntu-desktop-course/ubuntu-desktop-course-russian-slavsun
lp:~antpeter/ubuntu-desktop-course/ubuntu-desktop-course-russian-antpeter

>From your e-mail, I understand now that the most recent translations are
in this branch:

lp:~ubuntu-desktop-course-ru/ubuntu-desktop-course/ubuntu-desktop-course-russian

So, to answer your questions

> Is it possible to migrate our translation to "new version" of
> translation?

Yes, it is possible, but it might be a bit tricky. The process involves:

1) Extracting the translations from the translated XML files and put
them into PO files

2) Uploading the PO files into Launchpad.

The first point (1)) is the tricky part. I've tried to do this myself
for a particular translation (chapter1), and here are the problems I
encountered:

1. I downloaded the most recent Russian translation for chapter1 from
the branch you indicated me, and I renamed it
'Introducing_Ubuntu.ru.xml'

2. I downloaded the most recent original xml file from the
ubuntu-desktop-course-beta branch ('Introducing_Ubuntu.xml')

3. I used xml2po (from the gnome-doc-utils package) to extract the
strings from the translated Russian document in the following way:

 xml2po -r Introducing_Ubuntu.ru.xml Introducing_Ubuntu.xml > ru.po

4. I examined the PO file. I noticed 2 things:

a) There were duplicate translations in the file. That was not a
problem, I ran msguniq (from the gettext package) to discard the
duplicates:

 msguniq -u ru.po > ru-no-dups.po

and then I merged the resulting file with the introducing_ubuntu.pot
template:

 msgmerge ru-no-dups.po introducing_ubuntu.pot > ru-merged.po

b) After examining the final file, I saw that some of the translations
did not correspond to the original strings. I don't know if this is a
syntax problem in the translated xml file or a bug in xml2po, but in any
case, the generated PO files cannot be used without proper review, since
they contain mismatched translations.

> How can we help with it?

I think the best way is to try to create correct PO files and upload
them to Launchpad. If that is not possible (e.g. the files are not
correctly created due to a bug in xml2po) you can also copy and paste
translations directly in the web UI, but that would probably be a bit of
a tedious process.

I've noticed that the mismatched translations are only a few in the
generated PO file, so perhaps you could try to discard the mismatched
ones from the PO file, upload that file and enter the rest of
translations manually (e.g. copy and paste) in the web UI.

One note: the translation of the desktop course has been assigned to the
Ubuntu Translators, which mean that anyone can make translation
suggestions, but only members of the Russian Ubuntu Translators group
will be able to approve them or to upload PO files. You should probably
contact the Ubuntu Translators team and consider joining them. I'm
including Oleg Koptev from the Russian Ubuntu Translators team and also
a member of the Ubuntu Desktop Course Russian translation team, who I'm
sure should be able to tell you more about that.

Please feel free to contact me if there is anything else I can help
with.

Notice, though, that I'll be on holiday for two weeks starting on the
19th of Aug (next week), so it will take me some time to respond until I
get back.

Thanks for your great work translating the Ubuntu Desktop Course!

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella