ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Book design

Hello, Belinda.

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Belinda Lopez
<belinda.lopez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Kevin, your help would be greatly appreciated.  That was KyleN who
> has been trying to get the Design Team to offer assistance.  I will continue
> to ping them but work under the "It's better to ask forgiveness than
> permission" rule when it comes to their input.  That is, we should take the
> initiative to create the design we want keeping in mind the already
> published Ubuntu Style Guidelines.

Should we start discussing the design here or wait to hear back from
the Design Team?

> Kevin, I'll follow up with you on this as I want to review the existing
> Ubuntu Manual Style Guide further and get a little better feel for exactly
> what elements we need:  cover design?  overall 'book' dimensions, etc.
>  While we don't have it in mind to create a Lulu,com or other
> publishing-ready format currently, it won't hurt if those happen as part of
> the process.

For the UM, we currently produce books in both US letter size and A4
size depending on the language/locale.  We chose those paper sizes
because it's easy for folks to print their own copies at home.
(Handily, lulu.com can print books using both those paper sizes.)

> Not sure about the mark-up elements at this point - will definitely let you
> know once I delve into it a bit more.

I'll take a look through the existing content as well.

Thanks!

--Kevin