ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Success! 50 pages written

That's the confirmation message you get when you compile the current version of the Ubuntu Applications Development Manual. :-)

Rick was bored and wrote the Glade, Quickly and Widgets chapters. I added some minimal latex and Chris W helped clean everything up and so we have a nice working branch with placeholders for each chapter. (I'll try not to break it.) Ryan also helped me get TexLive installed and working as the version in the repositories in not the latest and is missing some packages so you really need to install it from the tarball if you make to run the make command and generate a local PDF.

For those having writers block I'll offer these short tips:

  1. Just write the first paragraph.  If you can send me your intro
paragraph in the format: "In this chapter we will cover x,y,z. By the end of this chapter you should be able to . . . " asap,
     we'll have a much clearer view of the overall book.
  2. An outline will help you organize your thoughts.
  3. No negative training.  Something drilled into me-  do not show bad
     examples and then tell the reader, "you should never do this. . ."
  4. Each step is discrete.  Try to make your instructions in itemized
     or numbered steps and the reader should be able to do each step
     and then check to make sure it either worked or did not.  I see
     tons of this on planet with paragraph written instructions instead
     of making a simple list of steps.
  5. Less is more.  Very easy to write a ton of stuff on all these
     topics but our goal is to only list the 'best practice way'; you
     don't even need to justify it, just make sure it works technically.

thanks all!

Belinda

Canonical
belinda.lopez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx