ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

translation of u-dev-manual

Hi all,

The plan is to translate in LP.

So the trunk needs a pot file that is updated to reflect current strings. This will be used to auto update LP translations with current messages for translation by Ubuntu-Translators. LP will auto export po files for each language to trunk, which will enable building localized pdfs in trunk.

QUESTION: What special sauce creates/updates po/ubuntu-developer-manual.pot from all source files?

Is there a list of target languages that needs management (a LINGUAS file or some equivalent)? (or are the target langs simply those for which there are po files in po/)?

I took some initial steps to set this project  up for translation in LP.

* Assigned it to Ubuntu-Translators group (they are the only ones with permission to commit translations through LP trans UI)
 * Changed permissions from Open to Closed for two reasons:
- We don't want translation to occur until after string freeze, so shut it down for now (Closed) - At string freeze, we change it to Restricted so that only Ubuntu-Translators can commit through LP trans UI

Belinda, an email to Ubuntu-translators list is probably in order here to let them know this project is assigned to them and will be translated after project string freeze on a schedule you create. If you are unsure how long they will need, you might query David Planella. You may have insight into whether some chapters will be done before others, in which case you can help U-T by letting them stagger their work.

I'll set up auto import/export trunk <> LP for the project when the pot file question above is resolved.

Cheers,
Kyle

Follow ups