ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: translation of u-dev-manual

Hi:

On 01/03/2011 04:15 PM, Kyle Nitzsche wrote:
QUESTION: What special sauce creates/updates po/ubuntu-developer-manual.pot from all source files?

I will refine this question, since I (think I) recall po4a was mentioned and have started digging into this.

There are two paths the guide can take can take regarding translations:
1. A single template (pot file) and translation files (po files) for ALL 'chapters'
 2. Chapter-specific templates/translation files

Various (important) consequences fall out from this fork in the road. (For example, it might be nice to modularize translations on a per chapter basis to enable easy reuse of content, directing translators to content, and etc.)

But the most important question probably is:
* What does the current/selected build system (the Makefile) require in this respect?

It seems to require a single pot file in po/. So that would be 1., above. (See Makefile line 66 and thereabouts: TRANSLATIONS=$(shell for PO in po/*.po; do basename $$PO .po; done) # list of languages in the po/ dir)

However, I am having trouble creating a single consolidated pot file (from the generated main.tex file with 'po4a -f tex -m main.tex -p trialballon.pot'), possibly because it contains latex include statements that po4a doesn't understand || user error. (Yes, I can create per chapter pot files... sometimes.)

So REVISED QUESTION:
 * is MAGIC SAUCE or are SPECIAL INCANTATIONS involved here?

ALSO:
Why does \begin{itemize} BREAK po4a--gettextize, as in:
$ po4a-gettextize -f tex -m introduction/intro.tex -p po/t1.pot
introduction/intro.tex:15: (po4a::tex)
               unknown environment: 'itemize'

Is this syntax for an itemize list specific to ubuntu manual and our project would need some template file or something?

LASTLY:
* Has anyone succeeded in building a localized version of the pdf with dummy/sample translations yet?

Cheers,
Kyle