ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Toolchain

Hi Chris,

(ccing list)

Install doctemplate from doctemplate-team ppa: https://launchpad.net/~doctemplate-team/+archive/ppa <https://launchpad.net/%7Edoctemplate-team/+archive/ppa>

Created your main book working dir and go into it.

Get all branches here: https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-developer-manual <https://code.edge.launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-developer-manual>

note it is:
 * one branch per chapter
 * one branch for the book (to build pdfs)
 * on branch named customization (this contains common customizations)

(don't get the 'test" branch, that is cruft)

bzr branch a
bzr branch b

(You can script that if you want.)

The book "module" has book.xml that contains xml that points to all chapter directories. It should be correct at this point. when you add a chapter, you add it to the book.xml file as the others.

build the book pdf in the book dir with: doctemplate_make_book_pdf
 * look in build/ for localized draft pdfs for each linguas in LINGUAS file

build chapter modules by entering a chapter bzr dir created above when you branched each chapter:
 * doctemplate_html (builds one form of html)
 * doctemplate_html-site (different html javascript and styling)
 * build chapter pdf module with doctemplate_pdf
 * builds are for each lingua in LINGUAS file
 * all built chapter modules are in build/<type>/<lang>/
* localization (languages and images) fully supported. (only some po files present by default).

Create new chapter module:
 * create dir and go into it
* doctemplate_setup_article (doctemplate chapter modules are actually docbook articles) * this creates a sample article in article/sample-article.xml. Only use the docbook tags that are used in this sample. They are proven to work in all output types and should suffice.
 * add path to chapter module into book.xml

That's a start.

Cheers,
Kyle