[Question #42671]: WiFi on the 901

Hello
     I've noticed some anomalies with Wifi on my 901, which has the custom kernel installed.  Ethernet works just fine, by the way, but WiFi doesn't work across boots.  After a boot the network icon indicates that I have a connection, when in reality I don't.  Nothing will connect to the internet.  I'll go to Network Settings and all the settings are there as they should be.  I have to do something to get the network interface scanned again.  So for example, I'll reenter the password and save the settings yet again.  The interface is scanned and then I have connectivity.  Reboot, and I have to go through the same process again.
     What's more, it indicates my IP address as 127.0.0.1, and not my true internal network address (I'm behind a router) of 192.168.0.104.  I am configured for DHCP, using WPA personal.
      Also interesting is that I cannot connect to my home wireless network unless I'm broadcasting the SSID from the AP.  I should be able to connect, even if I'm not broadcasting the SSID, as long as I can enter it in the setup, or at least that's been my experence with other setups in the past.  It shouldn't be necessary to reveal the SSID in order to connect to the network.
     Also, when I have a live connection to the internet I can right click the network icon in the notification area, select manually configure wireless connection and the form that pops up is completely blank, with no ability to edit anything.
      Until I get all the basic functionality worked out I haven't applied all the 207 packages waiting for download since the initial installation several days ago.  Perhaps I should?

Thanks