[Question #45117]: SD Installation freezes on 2G Surf, please help

I have been attempting to install 8.04.1 onto a 4gb sdhc card in my 2G surf. I am doing this using an external dvd drive and a cd burned from the downloaded iso. The installation always goes fine through all of the setup steps but when it begins to install it always stops installing at 5%. Above the progress bar it says "Partitions formatting" and below it reads "Creating ext3 file system for / in partition #1 of SCSI4 (0,0,0) (sdb). I have let it sit for over an hour before making sure that it would not continue on. I also tried a number of options from redownloading, burning new cd's, ext2 instead of ext3, installing with swap and no swap all with seemingly the same result. I would really like to make this work but am running out of ideas and would appreciate anyones help.