Re: [Question #43495]: Persistent install of 8.04.1 on USB thumbdrive?

Tigerbow posted a new comment:
This is what I did.  (warning, I am very new to linux, but I think these
are the steps to get it to work).

I assume that your goal is to be able to boot Ubuntu from your USB drive
by turning the eee on and selecting that drive after pressing "esc"

Boot from the Ubuntu USB you made (not the live one but the new one).
It should take you to the GRUB menu.  I assume this is the part where you select Ubuntu and get the error message.

Instead of hitting Return, press the "e" key.  This should bring up the
line from the menu.lst for the first selection.

Change (hd2,0) or whatever it is, to (hd0,0).  Now press "b" and you
should boot into Ubuntu.

However, this is only a temporary change and you still have to edit the
menu.lst to make it permanent.

When you get to Ubuntu, open a Terminal window.

type:  cd /boot/grub
type: sudo gedit menu.lst

it should ask for you password and now you can edit the actual Menu.lst
file.  Go past all the comments and get to the entries without any #'s
infront of them.

Change the first, the "recovery" and the Memtest" entries to (hd0,0).

I didn't bother to change the other entries.  If I want to boot from
Windows XP on the SSD, I just reboot without the USB.

If that works let me know.  If  Rydos, or anyone with more linux
experience that me (which is pretty much anyone on this forum) sees
anything I missed or any howling mistakes I have made, please let me
know.