Re: [Question #47334]: Cannot get a mms stream to play properly

Adam McDaniel proposed the following answer:
Personally I've had poor results out of totem, vlc, and others. The only
program which I've had very good results is mplayer. However, mplayer
that ships with Ubuntu is rather locked down (due to restricted codecs,
etc).

Medibuntu supplies a custom-built mplayer package via their external repository, details are at:
http://www.medibuntu.org/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Medibuntu's mplayer is built with extra codecs that provide above-
average connectivity. Also there's the "mozilla-mplayer" package that
supplies a plugin to firefox for rich media. (There may be a conflict
between totem's mozilla plugin which IIRC is installed by default. It
may need to be removed.)