Re: [Question #47591]: UbuntuEEE 8.04.1 1000H Wireless

swdFrog proposed the following answer:

what sort of router do you have. like i said mine is a netgearDG834. I
changed the router from WPA-PSK to WPA2-PSK which worked for a while,
then to WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK. This worked but I was having to do
something in network manager to make it re-initialize each time I booted
up, re-enter the password or the IP address or something. Anything to
make it go through its paces again.

Taking out network-manager and gnome-network-manger and replacing with
wicd makes it work fine. I suggest you find the wicd website, google
wicd sourcefore, and follow the instructions for entering the repository
details in synaptic third party software, then after reloading the lists
search for wicd. It should remove network-magager etc automatically, if
it doesn't go back in find them and select delete everything.

wicd is much better and I've had no problem with automatically attaching
to wifi since installing it. Like I mentioned going in to network
manager and changing enough stuff to get it to restart may get you on
line for the session, try switching from fixed IP to DHCP or vice a
versa, then you can ditch it for wicd. After installation you should
find wicd on the internet menu.