[Question #49375]: Wireless on 1000?

Hi,

I've installed Ubuntu eee from a CD to an SD card in my 1000 LInux EeePC. The version is 8.04.1, and I've used the update manager to get all available updates over a wired LAN connection.

But wireless does not appear to be working. Specifically, it won't connect.

Here's what's happening:

- When I open the networks box of the administration panel, I see that my wireless router is detected (it's a BT home hub, and the EeePC successfully connects to this router when running the stock distro).

- In the properties area for the wireless connection, I have entered the appropriate encryption key (WEP hexadecimal) and selected DHCP configuration. These are the same settings as used in the stock distro.

- The networks box shows a tick next to the wireless connection, where the BT hub is named.

But...that's it. No actual wireless connection seems to be made. Applications that go online (e.g. update manager; firefox) fail to connect. No wireless connection is available or reported in the connections icon in the top right of the desktop, nor in the list of networks accessible through that icon.

I have tried rebooting, as well as unticking/reticking the box next to the wireless connection.

So what should I do now, please?

I found two similar questions (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-eee/+question/47524) and (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-eee/+question/47591), but the former refers to a different wireless adaptor (mine is a RT2790, not a RT2860) and points to a page of instructions that are now flagged as out of date, and the latter was solved by luck, it seems (reinstalling from USB stick).

Please help; this is most frustrating! o_o

Thanks.