[Question #49385]: Live USB Not Working Fully?

First, I'm a Linux newb, so I apologize ahead of time if I am asking a stupid question or not fully understanding how a Live USB stick works as apposed to a Live CD.  My concern is that I have created a Live USB stick with Ubuntu-eee 8.04.1 and when I attempt to run the OS on an Asus Eee PC 901 (I bought one for each of my kids ... 9 and 12).  I can't seem to access the network.  I have been able to run Firefox when using other live CDs (though I have never used a USB stick with an OS before).

Everything else about Ubuntu-eee looks marvelous, but I'm concerned that if I go ahead with the install I won't have network connectivity and I might be worse off than I am currently (though that is somewhat hard to fathom).  I suppose I can try to fix it after install, but I have been fighting so much with Xandros (disappearing apps, inability to install ANYTHING, no [English] spell check install for StarOffice [which my kids need for their school work] and no easy way to fix it, the list goes on) ... I just don't want to be fighting with yet another OS.  I suppose it's a matter of "the devil I know is better than the devil I don't know."  But Xandros has been one heck of a devil to deal with, ya' know?

Anyway, I want to believe in Linux [claps hands feverishly to bring Tinker Bell back to life] but I am rather disheartened with what I've had to deal with so far.  I understand that there's a learning curve ... I just didn't expect it to be as steep as it's been with Xandros.  I am hoping that Ubuntu-eee might solve a few of my problems, but I can't fix things without connectivity.

Anyway, my question is really in regard to the Live USB stick not being able to connect to the Internet through Firefox.  Should this be a concern?  Should I wait before installing?  Is it possible that the SW download I have is somehow corrupt?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!