Re: [Question #49525]: idle CPU usage around 70%

Robert Kolner proposed the following answer:
Well, your not alone: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=687205
That means that you probably just bumped onto a bug in Gnome or Ubuntu itself. I don't think this is something Ubuntu EEE devs can help you with, but I can of course be wrong. I suppose you have a graphic card from nVidia? You could try to install different version of drivers or Xorg, though I don't think it will help a lot :(.