Re: [Question #49808]: Video playback stuttering and choppy

stenvoon is still having a problem:
I figured out what it was. Every 30 seconds the hal daemon would pop up
to the top of the process list and cause video and audio to stutter. I
killed the hal daemon with "sudo /etc/init.d/hal stop"

I am not sure what the hal daemon is doing for me. Can anyone tell me if
permanently disabling it is a bad thing to do? What functionality will I
lose? Or is there some way to lower its priority and stop the hal daemon
from messing with my video playback?