Re: [Question #48189]: WiFi not working at all under 8.04.1

OldUnixGuy posted a new comment:
thanks surfed...

i got laid off and don't have an extra $500 to spend on eee 1000.  i bought a 160 gb hitachi hd and stuck it in a nexstar sx external usb enclosure.  after finding out how to partition the new disk into 3 ntfs partions using the
the nexstar user guide the ubuntu install was a breeze.  my wifi does not work either and i am the process of following you suggestions...

it would be much easier for me to just  buy a separate pc with  xandros
linux preinstalled and everything copasetic.

i plan on installing the apache web sever and developing web applicatons
and web pages and testing them on the local apache web server install...

my current web page uses frontpage 2003 and is developed under xp and
changes are published to my website and tested on the web site..  no
command line stuff but also very limited.

users here need to consider what they need to do.  if you are an average
user and are used to xp then by all means stick with it.  if you are
developer and need both xp and linux and have limited funds... this is
the place!

i picked the asus eee pc because it is the logical choice for me in my
situation.  software engineer, laid off, spending most of my time in my
limo waiting for fares.    i have xp for my merchant (credid card
processing) software, frontpage, for a simple starter web page for my
limo biz...

i need linux because i want to develop a web application in php and
mysql for limo reservations and dispatch.

i could go the microsoft route for this but just don't have the money to
spend on software.

for now i put my appointments in google calendar and sync them to my blackberry.  i also have a cradlepoint
personal wifi hotspot which is plugged into my blackberry for internet access in the car.

if i had extra money for an asus eee 1000 with pre-installed xandros
linux i would be up and running and not trying to figure out how to get
my 1000h working with ubuntu and visiting this forum to solve these
issues.

i suggest this forum stay focused on how to get it working and not
debate the pros and cons of linux vs xp.

thank god for guys like surfed and adams and to quote a line from The
BigChill...  NOBODY SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE EASY!