ubuntu-elisp team mailing list archive

Re: Packaging emacs23 for Ubuntu

Romain Francoise <rfrancoise@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Reinhard Tartler <siretart@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Things that we'd need to do: package emacs23! mwolson, do you
>> happen to have already work on it?
>
> Thanks for bringing this up.  There's a pending request to sync
> emacs23 from Debian in Launchpad[1] but the Emacs packages in Ubuntu
> were previously derived from emacs-snapshot, not from the Debian
> packaging[2].  Is this something we want to continue?

I wouldn't mind it, but if we do, may I suggest that we maintain the
emacs22 and emacs23 branches in 'your' emacs-snapshot (git) repository,
so that the packaging can be compared more easily?

The only itch that I have with that approach is that I strongly dislike
only having the debian/ part of a source package in a packaging
branch. However, I see that this indeed makes perfect sense for
emacs-snapshot which is a moving target. Here, it doesn't make sense to
review upstream changes like in other packages. - Still, when we are
sharing packaging we need some way to easily compare!

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4