ubuntu-fridge team mailing list archive

Re: Notice: Issue with the Fridge LP emailing list

Matthew East wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Joey Stanford <joey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>>  On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Joey Stanford <joey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>  > 3) We enable mailing lists on ubuntu-news and we move the fridge
>>>  > editor discussions over to ubuntu-news
>>>
>>>  That works for me in principle - but then non-members won't be able to
>>>  write to us. We need a single list which is open to non-members. Will
>>>  that feature be available on launchpad?
>>
>> right, ubuntu-news would need to be an open team. To post, folks would
>> need to join the team and subscribe to the list.  At least until the
>> concept of standing is implemented (perhaps later this year) which
>> would allow contributers meeting certain requirements to post to lists
>> they are not subscribed to.
>>
>> If your concern is that folks still have to subscribe to post the we
>> should create and host the list outside of Launchpad.
>
> I don't feel strongly about it but I tend to think that it's a little
> bit too much of a barrier for the time being - maybe we can review it
> when the LP implementation has matured slightly and has that sort of
> capability.
>
> I think the LP implementation is seriously pretty cool but it may be
> that for this purpose we want to use a regular Ubuntu list. Lets see
> what others think.

I like the idea of having a single list around the theme of "Ubuntu
News", we don't generate a ton of traffic. However, I really think we
should come up with some better solutions for content and event
submissions. For story content we should have a submission form which
would land the submission in a story queue for review by editors. For
events I think we should have something similar. Editors should really
be "acking" and shaping the overal tone of Fridge instead of being
drupal monkeys. Creating an event series (most of our meetings are
regularly scheduled) is a serious pain. The mailing list should be for
more internal discussion. Please, whatever you do, do not create open LP
teams, they are a real mess to clean up.

Hi all, btw.

-Jordan