ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Latest versions in repos

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 09:15 -0400, Arc Riley wrote:
> I think it's been brought up before, but needs to be re-raised, this
> new team is in need of clarification as to it's purpose.
>
> The team is not part of either MOTU or Debian packagers, discussion
> about getting new games packaged and existing packages updated is
> great, and there seems to be some packagers on this team, but such
> discussion seems misplaced.

Many will gravitate towards this team for these types of things as not
much other help is close to Ubuntu and many will not want or feel the
need to be tracked from the distro they use over to Debian to report or
request things. This maybe an issue for users that may need to be looked
at.

> Ubuntu is a distribution, there is some software developed for Ubuntu
> (workflow, installation, user experience) but projects as big as
> writing games - which would be equally useful on other Linux distros,
> really don't belong here.  We're building up the Copyleft Games Group
> to umbrella such projects.

Copyleft Games group?

> On the launchpad, this team is listed as part of Ubuntu Marketing.
> Let's focus on that - the games that we already have need some hype,
> building player community around them, encouraging LoCos to host lan
> parties, and when new copyleft games come down the pipe working to
> promote them as a way to promote Ubuntu.

Marketing is a key facet. However, marketing comes with users and users
can have issues that we cannot ignore and bump off elsewhere. How we
deal with these things is a group decision.

Do we have any members who have experience of hosting lan parties?

Regards

Phil