ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Latest versions in repos

Hi,

I came here via Phoronix. I was very excited by the news, but I'm a
bit puzzled by the purpose of this group, too.

I am a wannabe game developer and was hoping that Ubuntu has plans for
something like 'Google Summer of Code' - in this case, funding and
supporting game developers to create and polish games that run
natively on Linux and are distributed as OpenSource, for the code, and
OpenSource or OpenContent, for the content. Or something like
Blender.org does where they assemble a team with a specific project in
mind.

As a game developer you need nice libs. But in order to be able to
deliver a game, you also need nice graphics, sounds and levels.
Unfortunately, what is really missing are these last resources.

Ubuntu and the other distros that make money from distributing Linux
could hire artists, musicians, sound effect professionals to create
such content and make it available under an OpenContent license so
that every potential game developer can use it.

Is this possible?

Thanx,

Ionutz