ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Lets start rocking - idea of spawning ubuntu gaming clan

Cool to see so many positive to this idea =)

@Justin Dugger: Thanks for that article. Though I belive it reflects that
developers views only - programming is something that comes in a large
variety and is something very hard and time consuming to understand. If
there would be donations arranged, I hope the developers would take it as a
token of appriciation, and not as an insult.

Regarding splitting the herd (=clan) in timezones is something that will
only be done if there will be a need. And I think there will be, since I
can't see an american gamer playing with an european, considering the time
zones and ping increase. Of course the latter dosen't matter in Turn-based
games or MUDs ;-)

@Ben Crisford
It wouldn't really matter if people are in other clans or what tags they'll
wear - I belive in letting people to choose to wear the tag by their own
will (but it will be recommended). The important thing is to create a gaming
community with a sense of fellowship.

@Ryan Swart
Hehe, we're not neccesarly going to only shoot people, we might sub-due them
in freeciv as dictatorian ubunturians!@#

Regarding roles, I belive we'll need the following ones:

   - Coordinator: who will have the role to recruit people, arrange matches
   against other teams and arrange games - both over the net and locally (LAN
   parties). Kind of the PR / human-resources manager.

   - Tech-Administrators: managing maps, mods and servers for the game
   aswell as future voip server (mumble?). Not obliged to, but could also deal
   with technical problems the members have (this is something all should
   collaborate in and not leave the burden on a few poor individuals).

   - Council: setting guidelines, rules, code of conduct (which should
   follow ubuntus, but with additional amendments), which games to focus on, if
   we're going to be playing FOSS games only/linux native games/gold+ rated
   wine games on etc. Should be open to ideas from the members.

   - If i forgot something here, please make additions :-)

Of course, one can take on several of the roles mentioned here. For example
a council member could be a coordinator aswell.

So if you're intrested in one of the above roles, please either announce it
here on the list or email me directly: khalid.rashid@xxxxxxxxx with your
email and which roles you're intrested in, aswell as how much time you can
invest. Then we can start forming the herd and recruit members. I'll send
DPic an email regarding how the gaming team and the herd can to cooperate.

Happy weekend,
/KhaaL