ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: VoIP tools in Ubuntu

Ben Crisford <bcrisford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, so windows users can join us more easily for chat, we could have a
> ventrilo server using spux?  It is still in development, but by the time
> we're done sorting this it will probably be released (see
> www.spuxproject.net).
>
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Khalid Rashid <khalid.rashid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Tech-Administrators: managing maps, mods and servers for the game aswell as future voip server (mumble?).

It sounds like Ubuntu Gaming has it's first technical project:
identify VoIP server and client software suitable for Ubuntu gaming.
Part of promoting Ubuntu and open source means showing that we can do
as well (or better!);  it doesn't say good things when we tell
everyone how great open source is and then elect not to use it
ourselves.

With that in mind, here's a draft of requirements for an Ubuntu Gaming
VOIP service:

* Runs on Ubuntu Server (LTS?)
* DFSG compatible
* Capable of being packaged for Ubuntu/Debian
* Clients available for Linux, Windows, OSX, etc

I asked on #linux-gamers.net and someone seconded Khalid's mumble
suggestion of mumble.  As it happens, mumble is already packaged for
Ubuntu, and the lead developer, Thorvald Natvig, seems to be
adaquately taking care of Ubuntu's packages of mumble as well. There
are clients on all major platforms, and is based on

Thorvald, first, thanks for your work and contributions to Ubuntu and
Debian; I'd like to ask you, have I misrepresented anything about
mumble? And, do you know of a demo server to perhaps test latency,
audio quality, and stability of the client? Are there important
requirements you think I've missed?

Justin Dugger

Follow ups