ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Lets start rocking - idea of spawning ubuntu gaming distro?

2009/5/24 sakuramboo <sakuramboo@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Then why even use Linux?

Because Windows costs lots of money, dual booting is extremely
annoying and most of all because Wine is for many games enough.

> Why even put up with all that hassle of configuring Wine to MAYBE get a game to work?

Well, thats why I pointed to PlayOnLine/WineDoors, those tools can
reduces all the hassle to zero. If those tools would include patches
and mods they could be even easier to use then real Windows.

> And even if you do get it to work, you will still be lacking in certain
> functionality (forced to play at lower resolutions, low frame rates,
> weird graphical artifacts or bugs, lack of network play, etc.).

The whole point is that this is simply not the case. Wine has matured
a lot over the years and there are quite a few games that work close
to perfection in Wine and many more that work good enough that dual
booting just isn't worth it.

> Instead of pushing Wine, if proprietary games are a must, then why not push
> those that actually support Linux?

Of course you can push those to, but when you push just those you
simply don't end up with a large enough collection of games. All means
to play games on Linux should be pushed and promoted, not just a
subset of them.

Blog:     http://grumbel.blogspot.com/
JabberID: xmpp:grumbel@xxxxxxxxxx
ICQ:      59461927