ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Lets start rocking - idea of spawning ubuntu gaming distro?

Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
2009/5/24 sakuramboo <sakuramboo@xxxxxxxxx>:
Then why even use Linux?

Because Windows costs lots of money, dual booting is extremely
annoying and most of all because Wine is for many games enough.
And commercial games don't cost? If you are willing to spend money on games, the cost of the OS should not be an issue.
Why even put up with all that hassle of configuring Wine to MAYBE get a game to work?

Well, thats why I pointed to PlayOnLine/WineDoors, those tools can
reduces all the hassle to zero. If those tools would include patches
and mods they could be even easier to use then real Windows.
Oh really? Zero hassle? Get Final Fantasy 11 to work. Oh, that's right, you can't! Use configuration tools all you want, they don't always work. To claim that they are a god send is just plain wrong.
And even if you do get it to work, you will still be lacking in certain
functionality (forced to play at lower resolutions, low frame rates,
weird graphical artifacts or bugs, lack of network play, etc.).

The whole point is that this is simply not the case. Wine has matured
a lot over the years and there are quite a few games that work close
to perfection in Wine and many more that work good enough that dual
booting just isn't worth it.
That is true, but that still doesn't make it a valid excuse because what works for you may not work for me. As I was hinting at with my last email, my hardware may be different from yours, driver version may be different and because of that, my usage of Wine may yield totally different results than you. This is why Wine is not the answer. Native game ports are.
Instead of pushing Wine, if proprietary games are a must, then why not push
those that actually support Linux?

Of course you can push those to, but when you push just those you
simply don't end up with a large enough collection of games. All means
to play games on Linux should be pushed and promoted, not just a
subset of them.

I do agree with that. However, even though Wine has matured, it is no where near ready, despite their version 1.0 release. It will be the same backlash that Ubuntu faced when they didn't follow the guidelines for Pulseaudio, releasing something into the main branch that wasn't quite ready.

The argument that most Windows gamers have as to the reason why they don't switch to Linux is because they "think" there aren't any games. By telling them they can just use Wine doesn't help because most of them don't even know that there may in fact BE a Linux client available.

It reminds me of this one guy on one of the message boards i frequent. In his clan, he focuses on DM type FPS's, namely, the entire Quake series. That is what he is good at. I asked him why he doesn't use Linux and he replied because he needs his games. To which I informed him that Id offers native Linux clients to all of the Quake games. I don't know if he ever switched, there are a few Windows-only titles he plays, so I doubt it. But, I digress. The point is, most don't even know that the games they currently play already are available on Linux.

And besides, gaming specific distros has been done before and all failed. What in particular would this attempt offer that the others didn't?