ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Lets start rocking - idea of spawning ubuntu gaming distro?

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Ryan Prior <ryanprior@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Instead of a whole new "distro", how about an add-on CD that includes
> popular games, Wine, custom themes, etc? Sort of a "gamer essentials
> pack" produced by Ubuntu-gaming, targeted at Ubuntu users? That
> solution gives us something we can promote to people already using
> Ubuntu. Then, for new users, we could promote an "Ubuntu + Game Pack"
> DVD already tricked out using our add-ons.

Edubuntu is designed this way.  Those of you following the Ubuntu
Planet may have noticed that Edubuntu's adrift at the moment.  It was
originally a LTSP project, and popular for it, but once LTSP was
adopted into Ubuntu itself, they lost a lot of followership. Ubuntu
Gaming should be prepared for this sort of thing to happen as well.

There's also the matter of bandwidth.  Package management already
provides a large repository of games for download.  Stick these all on
a DVD effectively bundles the packages you want with those you don't
want, forcing people to waste bandwidth in the end. Wouldn't it make
more sense to demonstrate the power of apt-get and package management
by showing gamers how to grab Warsow from the repo have it keep up to
date automatically?

Justin Dugger