ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Lets start rocking - idea of spawning ubuntu gaming distro?

Tim Mullins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering what people think of the idea of having a official version
> of Ubuntu designed for Gamers.
>
>    - it would be a DVD filled with the best Open Source Games
>    - it should have Wine built-in and setup as default for exe files
>    - it should have unique look
>    - it should be 36bit & 64bit
>    - the browser should have links and default homepage set to the page for
>    this project/distro & clan sites
>
> Sorry if this idea has already been floated

Hi,

Yes it was attempted already before ->
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2578991&postcount=2
Quoting compiledkernel:
"The UGA and UGL members had considered at one point building what we
were calling GWubuntu at the time.

A gamers ready distro of ubuntu.

Do you feel there is renewed interest in this?"

I'm all for it, but the question is, how many will be dedicated enough
to build and maintain this Ubuntu flavor?  It takes a lot of time, maybe
even more than Ubuntu itself considering we added a new layer to this -
games.