ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Lets start rocking - idea of spawning ubuntu gaming distro?

Ryan Prior wrote:
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM, sakuramboo <sakuramboo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ryan Prior wrote:
That's actually the same when you buy it from the store, generally.
Most game stores don't allow returns, and it can be impossible to
predict whether a game will work well on your computer even if you've
got fairly modern hardware and licensed Microsoft Windows. This is one
of the drivers of illegal downloading of games; when you download
illegally, you aren't stuck with a bill when games don't work.

The difference is, if I have a problem running a certain piece of software,
I can contact the developers. With Wine, the developers will just say "You
are not running Windows, we can't help you." Then, if I contact the Wine
developers, they will just say "That is a problem with the way the program
was coded. Contact them."

Interesting. I've never been in contact with game developers unless it
was a beta test or a libre game, so I didn't consider that channel. Do
most gamers contact the developers when they have problems? It's not
something I've heard of.
Why not? As a paying customer, I should be able to talk to who ever I need to in order to get their product working. However, if they only support Windows, they will show no support to anyone else using Wine.
The repos should be house to native titles only.

If it's built against winelib, does that count?
Native means without the use of other software. Winelib is a set of libraries like any other library. It still produces an executable when compiled, it just uses a more generic/cross-platform set of libraries.
The repos are not supposed to be storing documentation on how to configure
Wine. That is what winehq is for.

We can still put out our own Wine documentation, covering installation
on Ubuntu, where to look on WineHQ for good help, and information
specific to versions of Wine packaged in Ubuntu. It is important stuff
for gamers, and if you care about making life good for gamers on
Ubuntu, I think it's something we should work on. Promoting libre
games is an excellent project, but so long as there is significant
desire for non-libre games, we should keep player happiness in mind
when talking documentation.
Creating documentation is fine, but only if the information is Ubuntu specific. As far as I know, there is no difference between Ubuntu and, say, Fedora in terms of how Wine works.
But, also remember, non-libre does not mean Windows-only. Don't forget of
the native Linux titles out there.

By libre I mean, whether native or built against winelib, a game for
which source code and assets are available with a libre license; and
by non-libre, I mean everything else.
I only mention that because it seems like this entire discussion is about having the mind set that non-libre means Windows-only. Totally forgetting all of the Linux native titles out there. I think it would be more beneficial to educate gamers that there really are games available natively in Linux (libre and non). Like I mentioned about that one kid who plays Quake, he didn't even know that Id produces native Linux builds of all their games.

I think a better project would be to get in contact with some major cons and tournaments to get them to hand out copies of OpenArena and/or Nexuiz if they plan on having QuakeArena games. Show these gamers and cons that they don't have to pay for QuakeArena when the engine has been open sourced and already well refined.

To maybe get a booth at Quakecon or something, to demonstrate that all versions of Quake runs natively in Linux and also inform them that since it's open sourced, there have been some amazing forks, all for free.