ubuntu-gnome-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Proposed changes for Ubuntu GNOME 17.04

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 3:16 AM, Tim <darkxst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Are other distros still shipping this?

It's an Ubuntu-specific package. I thought more Ubuntu flavors
included it but I guess it's not widely used at all.

$ seeded-in-ubuntu xdiagnose
xdiagnose (from xdiagnose) is seeded in:
  ubuntu-gnome: daily-live
  ubuntu: daily-live
  ubuntukylin: daily-live

> I feel this is a good idea, but will there be a backlash? most people may
> use webmail, but the once that don't will likely become vocal

One important point is that these removal of apps from the default
install only affect clean installs; upgraders will still have the
removed apps installed.

Ok, I'll go ahead and drop gnome-icon-theme, seahorse and evolution.
I'll drop brasero once the new nautilus plugin binary package makes it
through Ubuntu's new queue. And I'll keep both music apps for now.

I think we'll participate in Alpha 1 so that we can see if commenters
have a strong negative reactions to these changes.

> Ultimately it feels like we need a good central location to provide
> recommendations of apps that aren't installed by default but are
> core-ish/recommend GNOME apps.

We could have a ubuntu-gnome-extras package. Discoverability isn't
that great for it though.

Someone could build a Welcome app like used in Ubuntu MATE. Or we
could add some recommendations to the existing Initial Setup or GNOME
Help apps.

Jeremy