ubuntu-gnome-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Proposed changes for Ubuntu GNOME 17.04

On 19/12/16 19:42, Alfredo Hernández wrote:

 1. Most computers these days won't even come with an optical unit, so
    it makes sense.
 2. Kill it with fire. As Tim mentions, I don't think any other distro
    ships it at all, even.
 3. Isn't it necessary for managing all your GPG keys? Or it just acts
    as a frontend?

seahorse is the frontend, gnome-keyring is the backend afair.

 1. Meaning we'll keep adwaita-icon-theme?

yes, but there will likely be ubuntu specific apps still using old icons not in a-i-t, which could crash, but not a huge deal if we do it early.

 1. I'd wait for the next LTS, as Tim says. The most recent
    advancements for Music 3.24+ are transforming it into quite a
    decent program. It would be a shame to remove Rhythmbox and ship a
    half-baked music player, or to remove Music and then revert this
    decision in a near future.
 2. I'm sure 90% of our user base uses a web client or install their
    own (e.g., Thunderbird). I think some components are still
    necessary for GNOME Calendar to function, but the main app should go.

e-d-s is what provides the backend stuff for gnome-shell/gnome-calendar, that won't be going anywhere at this stage. There has been past talk of splitting out the calendar server not sure any work has ever been done on that though.
Cheers,
Alfredo