ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive

Seeking clarification regarding the deprecation of "metacity".

I think I'm fairly well up with the latest news, but the word "think" is important. AFAIK gnome-panel and metacity will be deprecated either in 13.04 or 13.10.

Sort of a bummer for me because I maintain 23 older PC's with P4M800 graphics (most with VIA C7 CPU's) and they just won't handle mutter acceptably even with llvmpipe.

Now, it's not an immediate problem because I'm in the process of converting them all from Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu 12.04, some with Unity-2D but most with "classic (no effects), and April 2017 is a long way off.

But I have personally found good old metacity to run just as well as openbox on these old dogs so I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off focusing on Lubuntu going forward?

Regardless you'll hear no "sour grapes" type comments from me. I fully understand limited resources. For most of us there never seems to be either enough time or enough money to accomplish everything we'd like :^)

And from reading the applicable changelogs I know Jeremy has devoted a lot of time to maintaining metacity, so thank you for that, and thanks to all.

Lance