ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive

Re: Software Center instead of gnome-packagekit

On 1 December 2012 13:36, Nathanel Titane <nathanel.titane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It seems I must unfortunately agree now - I wanted to install 'Nitro' and it
> seems only the software center caters this application, and maybe many
> others. Trying to use a specific apt-url that links to the center borks the
> install process, as the center is not installed by default.

My impression is that it would be controversial among the GNOME
contributors whether the "Software" app will support easy install of
proprietary apps when it is redesigned.

Now in this case Nitro isn't actually proprietary; it is open source
but the packagers haven't followed the traditional method to get into
the Ubuntu repositories.

Jeremy