ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive

Re: Software Center instead of gnome-packagekit

Hey all,

Well, let me share my experiences here in Brazil. I am a consultant and
have a few customers, all small offices running Linux (all Ubuntu) and
after Unity they start to complain about changes.

They are all normal users, none of them are technical and also none of them
are able to run a single command line (well, maybe some of them can but
they wont).

Some months ago I install GNOME Shell on some computers, change the default
theme and make small changes and first users start to love their Linux
machines. With Ubuntu GNOME Remix I installed some other machines and just
receive more complains about Firefox/Chrome, LibreOffice and USC.

So, after some tweaks I get a perfect box for them that is this two
commands:

apt-get -y purge \
    abiword gnumeric onboard gwibber* gnome-orca whoopsie \
    gnome-games gnome-games-data gnome-sudoku aisleriot gnomine \
    gnome-games-extra-data gnuchess gnuchess-book libgtkspell-3-0
python-virtkey

apt-get -y install  \
firefox chromium-browser gimp inkscape xchat software-center\
libreoffice nautilus-dropbox unrar p7zip lm-sensors \
ubuntu-restricted-extras icedtea-6-plugin flashplugin-installer \
gdebi-core thunderbird

Also, I install some locale for pt-br and they are now so happy!

I have my custom iso that includes all of this things and I also agree that
I will never get a perfect box without some tweaks but you guys need to
know how happy Ubuntu users could be with this two apt-get lines.

Ah, some people prefer Firefox, other Chome but all agree that Firefox
looks more "integrated" to the system, probably because firefox theme is
more Gnomeish.

I am not proposing to make all of this changes, I know that we have
problems to ship java, restricted-extras and flash but we can't have a
"Linux for Human Beings" without LibreOffice, Software Center and Firefox.