ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive

Re: Software Center instead of gnome-packagekit

>>> Though I am with the idea of including LibreOffice and Firefox, wouldn't
 it defeat the purpose of providing a pure GNOME experience? <<<

That reflects my personal opinion quite well ;^)

We're never going to come up with a set of default apps that pleases everyone so I prefer we keep things as close to pure Gnome as practical, but I've used 'abiword' since WinMe and Lindows so that's just one example of my personal bias.

One of my concerns is that if we don't test Gnome's native apps and provide upstream feedback then bugs won't get fixed and poor design decisions may be made :^(

One of the reasons the devs gave for dropping 'metacity' and 'gnome-panel' was, "nearly nobody actively tests it". Clearly they were not aware of the efforts I made:

I not only tested it but I'm using it on over 40 individual PC's with no problem whatsoever. And I find Metacity to run just as well on lower-end hardware as Openbox. Maybe if this project had existed beginning with Oneiric we'd have been able to influence that decision, but none of us can roll back the clock.

On a completely different track; perhaps in the far distant future we could offer package installation options during install like Edubuntu does. If you've never seen it you can try the Edubuntu install using 'testdrive' in a VM - no need to even complete the install.

Still another concern is what it takes to become an official flavor. If we must use certain packages to gain official status then so be it.

Lance

PS: Many thanks to our devs, I'm very impressed with your work.