ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive

Re: Software Center instead of gnome-packagekit

I have been following this subject, and agree that the key issue is
whatever the distribution is a gnome refrence over ubuntu repo and
packaing or it is a ubuntu whith gnome-shell instead of unity.

Personal I go for a vanilla gnome distribution hense I am on a Fedora 18
at the moment. But Fedora can't deliver the same easy installation for
normal users as Ubuntu - flash, java and restricted extras. But fedora
is really close to get there. So main differense using fedora vs. Ubuntu
is mainly rpm/yum and deb/apt-get whitch normal users dont really see.
I really like the nearly pure gnome experiense  Fedora gives, but been
using Ubuntu for many years, and using Ubuntu on my servers I would
prefeer a gnome distribution built ontop of that.
I have been using Epiphany whith flash and Java and dont have problems
whit that - only thing is to get it working. I prefeer Epiphany over
Firefox for its perfect gnome integration and its simplicity.

BUT if the distribution is a Gnome-Ubuntu, one could say that as much
ubuntu stuf should be in the distribution as posible hense the main
differense should be the change from Unity to Gnome-shell. Then I fully
understand that it should include Firefox, Thunderbird, USC, LibreOffice
etc and users would bee comfortble swhitching between Unity and
Gnome-Shell.
This solution just not gives users the full gnome experince, and I think
the gyes at Gnome is dooind a great job in giving a simple, nice looking
and effective and integrated experance.

/andreas