ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive

Re: Abiword/Gnumeric or LibreOffice in GNOME Remix?

I honestly don't see why any real size constraints need to apply once we've crossed the 700 MB threshold. I seem to recall Ubuntu itself setting an arbitrary limit when they passed the CD limit but I really don't see why?

I suppose it's possible that too much bloat could increase the installation time but I recently tested Mint with Mate and the DVD was nearly 1 GB but the installation time was still below 30 minutes. I suspect Jeremy would understand how this works.

Since we're talking about Libre Office - Ubuntu itself by default installs most of the common Libre Office apps but not the entire metapackage 'libreoffice'. I'm currently using Ubuntu 12.04 because it's still my production OS and it's bill paying time :^( , but when I install the package 'libreoffice' there's not that much added "bloat":

  ca-certificates-java default-jre default-jre-headless fonts-sil-gentium
  fonts-sil-gentium-basic icedtea-6-jre-cacao icedtea-6-jre-jamvm icedtea-netx
  icedtea-netx-common java-common libatk-wrapper-java libatk-wrapper-java-jni
  libgif4 libhsqldb-java libreoffice libreoffice-base
  libreoffice-filter-mobiledev libreoffice-java-common libservlet2.5-java
  libxerces2-java libxml-commons-external-java libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java
  openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib ttf-dejavu
  ttf-dejavu-extra ttf-sil-gentium-basic tzdata-java
0 upgraded, 29 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 50.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 125 MB of additional disk space will be used.

*******

But a lot of this drifts into the realm of what we want to be as an official Ubuntu based distro so that becomes a new conversation :^)

Lance

PS: I've said this before but it bears repeating; I think Jeremy probably knows what is most needed to become a true Ubuntu flavor and NO decision about default apps should further complicate that process!