ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive

Re: Abiword/Gnumeric or LibreOffice in GNOME Remix?

Your concerns are absolutely valid. I'm still mostly stuck in the CD/DVD world but I do use live USB via "UNetbootin" because I find Ubuntu's "Startup Disk Creator" to be quite fiddly.

--- On Tue, 12/4/12, Justin Joseph <justin.manj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Justin Joseph <justin.manj@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-gnome] Abiword/Gnumeric or LibreOffice in GNOME Remix?
To: "Lance" <lbsolost@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Jeremy Bicha" <jbicha@xxxxxxxxxx>, "chris hermansen" <clhermansen@xxxxxxxxx>, "ubuntu-gnome" <ubuntu-gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 2:09 AM

On 4 December 2012 13:03, Lance <lbsolost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I honestly don't see why any real size constraints need to apply once we've crossed the 700 MB threshold. I seem to recall Ubuntu itself setting an arbitrary limit when they passed the CD limit but I really don't see why?

I suppose it's possible that too much bloat could increase the installation time but I recently tested Mint with Mate and the DVD was nearly 1 GB but the installation time was still below 30 minutes.

There are other factors involved here.
1. There is a large part of the world were internet is still a luxury (at least broadband). People don't like to download/install a DVD distro with unecessary applications/bloat and waste their bandwidth.

2. There are a lot many 1gb drives. We should aim to fit into that (with space reserved for  save files after reboot).
3. We should also have space for update etc. within the live media and use it as a distro from usb. With our last alpha, the installer was not working. An update was released shortly after but my 2 gb drive had not enough space to update/upgrade and install using that media.

Thanks,
Justin Joseph