ubuntu-hams team mailing list archive

Re: Is anyone uploading to LOTW?

On 11/10/2009 06:33 PM, Jason Milldrum wrote:
> Steve, were you able to generate or import a cert in the tqslcert
> program? I encountered some problems with the process and filed a bug
> report for it here:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/trustedqsl/+bug/456490>
> I was able to figure out the problem myself, and once that was
> resolved, I was able to get trustedqsl to sign my logs correctly.
>
> You are correct that there seems to be some neglect on the package.
> Not the most intuitive process, nor the most insightful error
> messages.
>
> Jason NT7S
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Steve Conklin
> <steve.conklin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Wow, that last email was a fail - here's what I meant to write
>>
>> Is anyone successfully uploading to the ARRL LOTW database?
>>
>> I've just tried installing and using the trustedqsl package
>> and it appears to be pretty horribly broken. It crashes on
>> the absence of a $HOME/.tqsl/config.xml file right off the bat.
>>
>> It looks like the upstream for this hasn't been touches for a
>> long time.
>>
>> Are there alternatives to trustedqsl? Am I doing it wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve AI4QR

Beyond the problems and poor documentation for the trustedqsl
package, I was having strange problems in that the imported
certificate would yield an error that it had expired, when it
actually doesn't expire until 2011. I fired up a windows machine
that already has tqsl installed and my certs loaded, and I could
still sign and upload logs, but the cert couldn't be saved to a
.p12 - it said it was expired when the properties for the cert
in tqsl clearly showed an expiration date in 2011.

I emailed ARRL support, and got this answer:

-----------------------
The problem in ten words or less has to do with the signature of the certificate.

Quick fix:

Set the clock in your computer back to a date about 8 weeks ago.

Save the PKCS#12 file

Load the PKCS#12 into the new computer

Set the computer clocks to current time and date.

This will work for you however now would be a good time to get a new certificate with the correct signature file.

So given this not-very detailed explanation, I would advise everyone
using LOTW to try saving your cert to a .p12 and see if it fails, and
apply for a renewal or new certificate.

Steve AI4QR