ubuntu-hams team mailing list archive

Re: Contest logger project

* On 2010 08 Jun 21:21 -0500, Paul Schulz wrote:
> Not particularly tied to C. Perl is actuall my preference as well, and
> part of the 'plan' was to migrate to perl once the GUI had been
> defined in glade (XML).

Very interesting plan.  While I like working with Perl, I do wonder if
using it will turn away those who consider Perl a "write only" language
or only suitable for backend or one-off scripts.  Python seems to be a
favorite of a number of later GUI apps and may be a good choice.  I'm
willing to consider Python and GTK+ or Qt for CTest, but will need
someone versed in GUI development to help out.

> I concur with 'data integrity' comments, even to the point were
> multiple output files could be specified (eg. local spinning disk and
> flash drive).

CT has this capability of specifying a separate backup drive.  Of
course, being DOS, one's choices were limited.  Fortunately, modern
systems give us much more flexibility.

> I would like to also see 'log entries' submitted as 'messages', which
> can then be written to disk or sent across an IP network (eg. UDP), or
> even sent out via radio (eg. logging APRS)...

That is something that Fabian apparently started on in YFKtest as there
are some commented out sections regarding network sharing of QSO data.

An interesting question is whether a universal protocol could be agreed
on so that different programs could share QSO data in a multi-station
configuration, or is that too far fetched?  Doing so would tie back into
Steve's XML container idea and would allow various ops to choose the
program they prefer and still maintain an accurate log for the entire
operation.

Things to consider.

73, de Nate >>