ubuntu-l10n-fy team mailing list archive

Re: New team for Western Frisian (fy)

Op zaterdag 17-04-2010 om 13:33 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Sense
Hofstede:
> Recently we've been working in Ubuntu to get a translation team for
> the Western Frisian language up and running. KDE has got a reasonably
> active translation team for Western Frisian, but GNOME has always
> lacked translations for the language spoken in a Dutch province with a
> million inhabitants. Now we've got something up and running in Ubuntu
> we'd like to contribute the translations back upstream for other
> projects to benefit from them. Furthermore, a centralised,
> distro-agnostic, place for translating makes it easier for Frisian
> users of distributions that are not a member of the Ubuntu family to
> help out.

Hi Sense,

Nice to see more translator activity in the Netherlands. I'm the current
coordinator for the Dutch translation team, and was wondering whether
the Frisian translation

      * could benefit from using Dutch as a fallback instead of falling
        back to English for non-translated strings. However, I don't
        know if this is technically possible at all.
      * should have the same style and naming conventions as the Dutch
        translations do, since the languages are grammatically really
        similar and the Frisian team could benefit from the experience
        the Dutch team has. For instance, in Dutch we avoid imperatives
        and use infinitives as much as possible, and I think the Frisian
        translation should do that as well.

This message is CC'ed to the Gnome-NL mailing list, and I think further
discussion is appropriate as a crossposted thread to both
<ubuntu-l10n-fy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and <gnome-nl-list@xxxxxxxxx>. The