ubuntu-l10n-sd team mailing list archive

Translating in phases

Dear friends,

As it is a huge task to translate a complete OS in Sindhi, we should work in phases and complete the first tasks first. For this, I have this simple plan to follow, if you all agree with it:

Phase I - Translate the GNOME which is the graphical environment upon which the Ubuntu works (not Kubuntu or others). This is the most widely used linux desktop, and translating it corresponds to translating the OS itself (translating applications is a completely separate task).

Phase II - Translate core applications and accessories of Ubuntu. This may include small programs such as accessories, Nautilus which is the file browser in Linux, and such other necessary programs.

Phase III - Translate other major programs such as OpenOffice, Firefox, etc.

For phase I, we need to find the core packages used in gnome. These usually start with the name "gnome-", and some others which we will find later. Here is an article regarding that:
http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/LocalisationGuide#Choosing_the_first_packages_to_translate

This also includes packages which are required by Gnome, such as gtk+ which is the graphics suit, x-window system and related packages which are the core of Ubuntu graphical system.

If you all agree with this, I will try to find the packages to be translated and order them, so we translate first ones first and don't start some unnecessary packages at the beginning.

Abdul-Rahim Nizamani

Follow ups