ubuntu-lgbt team mailing list archive

Re: #ubuntu-offtopic policies kerfuffle

Melissa, Scott, Mark, et al.

The discussion of issues with sexuality, !o4o, IRC Guidelines, and
#ubuntu-offtopic on the ubuntu-lgbt list died down about a month ago.
Since then, I've seen a poll link about possible rules changes and
something to do with tolerance appear and then disappear from the
channel's topic, and have noticed certain people popping into the
channel that I don't generally see in there. Furthermore, while browsing
the logs for #ubuntu-meeting today, I noticed a reference to this issue
in a Technical Board meeting, of all places. I take this to mean that
somewhere, discussion of this issue is ongoing.

As a regular participant in #ubuntu-offtopic and a bisexual member of
the wider Ubuntu community, I am invested in the outcome of whatever
process is going on here. While I do understand the need for privacy in
Community Council discussions, I would very much appreciate some sort of
status update on this, even if it's just "We're still discussing it, and
still disagree on some things".

With the exception of the vague poll I mentioned earlier,
#ubuntu-offtopic itself appears to be unaware that anything is going on.
#ubuntu-lgbt has not heard anything about this for a month. Considering
that this appears to have morphed into a matter of general policy,
rather than discussion of a specific, personal instance, I believe that
complete privacy on this issue is not required.

I am very interested in hearing any updates on this issue that you are
able to give us.

Thanks,
~ Robert Wall

--