Editing process update

Hi all,

For those wondering who I am, Benjamin has asked me to coordinate the
process of editing the manual. Currently we have various people chipping in
and editing bits and pieces of the manual as it is written. This is fine
(actually it's fantastic!) and is a good way to make sure the end result is
a collaborative effort that is polished, accurate, and something everyone is
happy with.

The problem at this stage is that as we approach our milestones dates, it
will likely become difficult to know when a chapter is "finished". By
finished I don't just mean content is written, but that the editing and
review process is completed and 'signed-off' so to speak. To assist with
this I think the best way forward will be to assign an editor to each
chapter, much like each chapter currently has an assigned writer. That
person will then be responsible for the overall editing of that chapter, and
to do this will collaborate with the writer as necessary. Others can still
help out where they see fit (as is currently happening), but it will
ultimately fall to the assigned editor to liaise with the writer, and help
ensure that the chapter meets the requirements and standards set by both the
official Docs Team style guide (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/StyleGuide), our in-house style
guide (which is specific to this project, see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual/StyleGuide), and obviously other
things such as spelling and grammar!

The following people have currently expressed an interest in editing
(apologies if I have left you out):

- Thomas Cantara
- Parry Mathur

Could the above people and anyone else interested in being assigned
chapter(s) for editing, please have a look at the *NEW* ToC and email me a
couple of chapters you wouldn't mind being allocated. We won't create more
blueprints to do this; instead I will add the assigned editor's name to the
whiteboard of the existing blueprint for their allocated chapter(s). The
number of chapters allocated to each editor will depend on what level of
response I get.

Thanks all, if you have any comments or suggestions please let me know.
Happy manualisationing!

JaminDay

PS - Thanks to Ilya Haykinson for the great work so far on the Ubuntu-Manual
style guide. Seeing as you have put a lot of time and effort into this stuff
it would make sense to assign you some chapters to be responsible for
editing. If you're interested just let me know.

Note to writers/editors: our project's style guide (see link above) is a
working document and will continue to be added to/updated. As is already
happening, feel free to make suggestions or additions as necessary.