Re: Collaboration between the Ubuntu Manual and Docs Team

Hi,

I'd like to give a brief second / third view point.

I'm am currently writing part of this manual, I've read the project wiki etc.

I agree with Mathew and others that think there is definitely a need for a community produced printable manual to help new users. This project is needed.

I agree with Phil that the project needs to have a very clear and (slightly) different aim than the system docs. I would suggest more coherency to the manual text, than the dip in and out style of the system docs, with nice and friendly language. I'm unsure about the "comprehensive guide" part of the project aim, will the project re-write the help docs for common apps? Maybe the idea the manual being a new users helping hand in there first x hours of Ubuntu would be better.

I know Benjamin has had a number of emails about the project's overlap, not all can be uninformed. Maybe more clarity is needed with the project aim. I think the wiki page does a good job of this, it is a bit long.

I also agree with Phil that there is little point completely re-writing the system docs / application help (has maybe implied by "comprehensive guide"). Its better to build on this and add to it. I may be better in some cases to reference existing text than re-write it. I know this has been said, but blueprints and the wiki may allow the reader to infer otherwise. From the first meeting and the mailing list etc, a number of people have set to work be re-inventing the wheel, the project leader should try to mitigate this.

The docs team does much document work (unsurprisingly) comments from doc team members shouldn't be dismissed without careful consideration.

Two new points:

The manual has attracted much interest in the few weeks its been about. The manual concept probably seems more "sexy" than the system docs. I'd like to see the manual team encourage contributes / team members to get involved in the docs team (after the manual is completed), and the manual to included a mention of the docs team and how to help them. This project can and should be a additional entry point for new docs team members.

Benjamin: I'm also a bit concerned at the negative (possibly aggressive) reaction to critique. You have listened to my comments in the past. Phil was working on an install guide previously which had similar overlap with existing docs, put was very well defined. Listen to his comments, learn from his experience. The manual project clearly is popular and needed, but humble self-criticism is a value skill. If you do this it doesn't seem so to an observe of the mailing lists. Is would be a shame is this project failed because of this spat.

I might suggest it is time we all had a nice cup of tea and maybe some cake. Agree some of us got off on the wrong foot and to look forward; and crack on.

Regards,
Kelvin