Re: Ubuntu Manual Cover Design

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 10:32 +0000, Bruno Bernardino wrote:

> I'm sorry I didn't really justify my choices, but I didn't feel I had
> to. We were asked personal opinion, I gave mine.

You were asked for feedback in the context of Benjamin's reaction to my
mail. That was more about the "How", not the "What".

> I believe all the results were chosen because they were good, now it's
> a matter of choosing what most pleases everyone, so it's personal
> preference of the masses coming into play here, imo.

There are no results chosen, there are just submissions from 4 people.

Regarding the personal preferences of the masses, experience over at
ubuntu-artwork shows that you rarely find anything even getting close to
a consensus. There's a risk of a design-by-committee leading to
compromises towards a result that steps on no one's toes, but doesn't
really make anyone happy.

Is the central goal of the title page design to please a majority of
members of the project? Shouldn't it rather be to do the best to reach
the goals of the project, which can only mean: appeal to potential
readers, give them an idea what it is about, invite them to read?

> The US Letter or A4 decision is thought of to be on a language-based
> definition (we talked about this on last week's meeting).

There need to be 2 layouts then.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: